Hợp Thể Hậu Kỳ
Thành viên BQT
Mạnh Thường Quân
Bích Ngọc dịch giả
Thank bài lão.John F. Kennedy là một vị tổng thống trẻ tuổi, mất lúc trẻ tuổi nhưng là một người tài ba và có đóng góp lớn cho nước Mỹ và thế giới . Sau đây là một đoạn văn ngắn giới thiệu sơ lược về ông ta và một số "quotes" được chọn . (copy and paste)
John Fitzgerald Kennedy is one of the most well-known politicians in modern history. As the 35th President of the United States of America, Kennedy was instrumental in bringing the country out of the stagnation it found itself in following the Second World War. His economic reforms, strong support of civil rights, and commitment to space exploration programs saw him gain rapid popularity in the country. And as the leader of one of the two post-WWII superpowers, JFK played a pivotal role in global geo-politics as the United States clashed with the Soviet Union in the Cold War. From the failed attempt to overthrow Castro's regime in Cuba to supporting the Western Bloc in Berlin to the resolution of the Cuban Missile Crisis without armed conflict, JFK was at the heart of several key historical events during his tenure as the US President.
Image credit: Shutterstock
Born on May 29, 1917 into one of America's wealthiest families, Kennedy made history on January 20, 1961 as the youngest person to ever be sworn in as President of the US. His time in the nation's highest office was, however, cut-short. On November 22, 1963, Kennedy's motorcade was travelling through Dallas, Texas, when Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed him – an unfortunate act that made JFK the youngest President to die. Despite his short time in the White House, the decorated war veteran remains among America's most liked Presidents for his ceaseless efforts to improve the country and the world. Today, to mark Kennedy's 100th birthday, we look at some of his most notable quotes on politics, war, peace, and life:
- “There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long-range risks of comfortable inaction.”
- “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
- “We must use time as a tool, not as a couch.”
- “A child miseducated (sic) is a child lost.”
- “The goal of education is the advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of truth.”
- “Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.”
- “Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.”
- “A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.”
- “When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man’s concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.”
- “Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.”
- “Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.”
- “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.”
- “If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.”
- “The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.”
- “Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.”
- “Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource.”
- “In giving rights to others which belong to them, we give rights to ourselves and to our country.”
- “Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.”
- “World peace, like community peace, does not require that each man love his neighbor – it requires only that they live together with mutual tolerance, submitting their disputes to a just and peaceful settlement.”
- “The unity of freedom has never relied on uniformity of opinion.”
Thank you.Cái bài của anh @vuongtuphuong có nhiều cấu trúc cần học thuộc lòng luôn này:
- to be instrumental in something: đóng vai trò quan trọng trong việc gì đó. Đoạn sau có cấu trúc "to play a pivotal role in" thì cũng y hệt.
- the stagnation it found itself in: chỗ này là mệnh đề quan hệ rút gọn (reduced relative clause), vốn dĩ câu đầy đủ là "the stagnation which it found itself in". Xong cái cụm to find oneself in something lại có nghĩa là "nhận ra mình đang bị kẹt trong tình trạng gì gì đó". Nếu hiểu stagnation là "đình trệ" thì cả câu gốc nói đến việc Kennedy kéo nước Mĩ ra khỏi tình trạng đình trệ sau Thế chiến II.
- to see: Thường thì động từ này nghĩa là "nhìn thấy" hoặc "à hiểu rồi" (get, understand), tuy nhiên trong câu gốc "and commitment to space exploration programs saw him gain rapid popularity" thì nó có nghĩa đại khái là "khiến cho, giúp cho". Chỗ này em dịch theo văn cảnh thôi chứ chưa tìm được định nghĩa trong từ điển.
- to make history: làm nên lịch sử. Em tin là cấu trúc "làm nên lịch sử" trong tiếng Việt vốn là do các dịch giả VN dịch thẳng (calque) từ tiếng Anh sang.
- ceaseless efforts: những nỗ lực không ngừng nghỉ. Cấu trúc này chắc là lại do tiếng Việt copy y xì mốc tiếng Anh.
Những cấu trúc này, công đức vô lượng.